Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things...that are green.

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, and the first day of spring, I wanted to share some favorite green things with you all. Each has a different kind of significance to me in this season of my life. Happy reading and Happy Spring!

1. Succulents-These beautiful plants have been making me so happy these days! I have been on such a kick that I have built a routine around them. Each week, I go to Trader Joes, the happiest of little natural grocery stores, and purchase one little succulent plant. These plants come in different color pots and in all different varieties, and it is my goal to own one of each. :)


Personal significance: They make my room look pretty, and I have something to look forward to at the end of each week. Routine can add happiness to your life if you make the right kind of routine!

Practical significance:These hearty plants are known for their easy-care and dependability. Their retention of water in their leaves gives them their thickness and "succulent" nature--perfect for those of us who like plants, but are afraid we will kill them. :)

Spiritual Significance: These plants often thrive in arid and dry, desert climates. For those who have read my previous post on Waiting , you will know that I find its very good for us to stay with the Man who has the "water" (His words and promises) when we are walking through a desert, store up that life and newness in our souls. You are good examples, succulent plants!


2. Green lights- We all love them. It's what we are often hoping for, and while we are waiting for it, we can often find ourselves talking to the air while sitting in our cars (like that is going to make it change faster). Green lights. Gotta love them.

Personal Significance: I get a lot of satisfaction out of the fact that I grew up in a "one-stoplight" town and what a big deal it was when we got a second one :). And I have a distinct ritual of trying to guess when the light will turn green, and often pretend that when it changes, it was my individual power that changed it :)

Practical Significance: Though I too struggle with being patient at times at lights, they do help to maintain some order in our world, and lets face it, it allows for moments of reflection and interactions with other drivers in the midst of our busy lives (even if you are trying really hard to not catch eyes with the person next to you, which you know we all do at some points).
Spiritual Significance: I have felt that in this time of my life, God has been teaching me a lot about Permission. Permission to chase after my dreams and desires, and know that He trusts me and supports me. I love Bill Johnson's quote, "With God, the light is green until it turns red". We have permission and He loves to empower us!

3. Sustainability- Although this is not actually a "thing" as in an object, it does make me think about all sorts of green things, like gardening and rainforests and the life, and it is becoming one of my favorite buzz words in this season . Maybe its the spring time, or just the fact that I really love the sound of it, but sustainability is something that can be seen as our way to "touch a future" we may never actually see...pretty exciting stuff!
Personal Significance: I have always been attracted to things that carry and promote "life." This is why I want to be a midwife and deliver babies, want to plant a garden, and enjoy eating all my leafy greens. Yum salads! Sustainability is an important part of sharing life--it ensures that people around us and beyond us can experience and receive the benefits of our life.

Practical Significance: If its not sustainable, it will come to an end.

Spiritual Significance: While spending time with sweet friends in Oklahoma, I have observed something from their community here. They want to build and create a structure of living life and doing "church" that is sustainable and replicable. This includes things like creating networks of strong relationships, helping one another, prayer, service, and perseverance. I know that this is something that I want to continue to see nurtured in my life and community, and that we as the boy of Christ can return to a focus of love and relationships. Love is incredibly sustainable...the Bible says it never fails. I Corinthians 3:16

Happy Spring!

What are a few of your favorite green things???

No comments:

Post a Comment